What To Do If You Have Lost Green Card?

Unlike the procedures related to other immigration cases, the process to replace a lost green card is fairly simple and straightforward one. First things first, it is very important for you to understand that in order to live legally in the United States of America, you must always carry your green card with you. Therefore, if you have misplaced or lost it, you must immediately take necessary actions to get it replaced with a new one. Following is a step-by-step guide on how to go about it.

Fill Out Form I-90

The first thing that you have to do is to fill out the Form I-90. You can get this form downloaded from the official website of the USCIS. This is the form that you are required to fill out and submit for an array of situations that include cases where your permanent residence card has expired or is about to expire, cases where your card has been stolen, or the cases where you have lost green card. It is important to note that you cannot use this form to get conditional resident status removed or to apply for a green card for the first time (initially). The process can be much smoother if you attach the copy (if you have any) of the green card that you have lost. If you do not have the copy, you will have to attach some other documents, such as driver’s license, passport, or any other form of photo id.

Attach The Check For The Filing Fees

Though the filing fees for this application keep changing from time to time, at present, the fee is $370. You can pay the fee by attaching a check along with your application; the check must be payable to the US Department of Homeland Security. It is important to note that you should not use abbreviations while you are writing the name in the “payable to” section of the check.

Submit Your Application

You can mail your application to replace lost green card; if it is a courier delivery (UPS or FedEx) or USPS express mail, you should send it to USCIS, Attn: I-90, 1820 Skyharbor, Circle S Floor 1, Phoenix, AZ 85034. If it is a regular mail, you should send it to the Arizona Lockbox facility – USCIS, P.O. Box 21262, Phoenix, AZ 85036. Alternatively, you can also submit your application online at the official website of the USCIS; however, you must meet certain eligibility criteria to do that.

Fingerprinting Appointment

After a few weeks from the date of submission, you will receive a letter from the USCIS with the details about the fingerprinting appointment. Attend the appointment in a timely manner; it is better to reach there at least fifteen minutes in advance. It is very important for you to keep in mind that your application will never be approved if you miss this appointment. However, if there is an emergency and you cannot attend the appointment at the scheduled time, you must follow the institutions on the form to reschedule the appointment. If you fail to appear in that appointment once again, you will have to apply afresh to replace lost green card, which means you will have to pay the filing fee once again and repeat all the procedure.

Get Temporary “Card” While Your Application Is Pending

You must request the USCIS officials to provide you a temporary proof that you are a permanent resident of the United States of America while your application is pending. If you have to travel outside America, you must have an I-551 stamp in your passport, which is a proof that you are a permanent citizen of the US. You can visit the local immigration field office to get that stamp.

You can check the status of your application to replace lost green card by calling the office of the USCIS at 1-800-375-5283. Alternatively, you can also visit their official website to check the updates on your application.